Saturday, March 8, 2014

My Beaus

For the past few years, I have had a handful of beaus who, for the most part, have taken extremely good care of me. In fact, it was their consideration for my feelings, my happiness, and my safety* that made me realize that something was indeed very very wrong and dysfunctional with my marriage.

True, I met each one of them initially for a singular purpose, but apparently we chose each other carefully, as I now consider them good friends. We can talk to each other about stresses, worries, dreams unfulfilled, past regrets and how we'll do things differently if the chance comes up, etc. We check in with each other a few times a week, to say hi or to tease each other, and occasionally make plans to see each other.

A few didn't stick around, which is ok. A couple were kind of creepy. Only one pursued me relentlessly to the point where I felt it was a little too much - apparently I am talented in certain areas - but was respectful when I asked him for a little breathing room.

At any given time, I have about 3 regulars. Some are married, some are single. None of them know each other, but they are all aware that each other exists.
My beaus: T, B, and S

I love them each in different ways and for different reasons.

Most importantly, though, I love them all for helping me to see what I have at home. I never would have seen what's going on at home without being able to experience their compassion.




*When I mention consideration for my safety, I am not only talking about safe sex. I actually am referring to a real life incident a few years ago, where I accidentally cut myself badly at an inconvenient time, in an even more inconvenient place, and had to be rushed to the doctor for stitches. Had this happened with D, he would have thought I cut myself on purpose, would have grumbled about having to drive me to the doctor, and has never asked me how I am. I have leftover scar tissue that continues to bother me on occasion and probably always will. The beau I was with that day still occasionally asks how I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment