Sunday, March 9, 2014

Do What You Need to Do


I have a short but non-negotiable list of things to accomplish before I leave D:
  1. Find a job. My contract at the last job wasn't renewed this year, so I am currently unemployed.
  2. Rent a storage locker near work.
  3. Pare down my stuff and pack it up, then slowly move as much of it into storage as I can, unnoticed. 
  4. "Sell" the extra couch that he hates and the unused bookcases on Craigslist. (Actually, they'll be going into storage.)
  5. Find a place to live. That's pretty obvious.
  6. Get D out of the house for a day - move the rest of my stuff.
He doesn't know I'm leaving, and I don't plan to tell him ahead of time for my safety and sanity.

Why bother going through my stuff? What's up with that? Just leave.

No.

I've got a lot of personal stuff stashed in tubs and crates in the garage and our storage shed. We've had so many re-locations over the years that crap inevitably got randomly shoved in a box and moved. With my long term, untreated depression and his proclivity to be chaotically disorganized, we never got around to dealing with any of that shit. I really really have to do it. And I've found that in pretty much every container I go through, I find old family photos (from my side of the family), an old pay stub with my social security number on it, or something else that I personally need to deal with or keep.

Like I said, I really have to take care of this stuff. I can't leave it behind, and I'm not moving 2000lbs of crap just to sort through it all for 2 lbs of keepers and 1/2 lb of shred.

So this is my ongoing project. Pare down, shred, pack...
I've been tucking away my keeper stuff in closets and under the bed as much as possible to get it out of sight now. That way it won't be so obvious when I start hauling it out of the house.
I need to do what I need to do, right?

Once I get a job I'll move the packed boxes from my bedroom hiding places into my storage locker. Then I'll slowly move my boxes out of the garage/shed into storage. A box every day or three won't be noticed. I even have plans to replace what I take with an empty box so it looks pretty much like everything is there. He is a little oblivious to stuff like that, and I've been shuffling stuff around pretty much every day to keep the storage areas constantly changing, so he is already used to me moving stuff around and things changing on the shelves.

I almost feel like I'm subversively reverse-gaslighting him in order to protect myself.
Again. I've gotta do what I need to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment