Monday, August 11, 2014

The Law of Attrraction

The first time I heard about the law of attraction was in a Napoleon Hill book I found in a box. His language was hard for me to follow, but I vaguely understood that he was talking about how the wealthiest men of the early 20th century used some magical connection wanting something and obtaining it.

The second time I heard about it was at a weekend clinic by T Harv Eker. It made a little more sense, but I don't think I was ready for it to sink in.  

The most basic premise of LoA is that whatever you think, you will manifest. Think negative thoughts all the time, and you will be mired in negativity and bad things happening. Train yourself to think more positive thoughts and practice gratitude, and positive things will start happening. Or at the very least you'll be able to see the teeniest of positive things begin and grow.

During my job hunt and trying to recover from my situational depression, I worked diligently to get my brain to focus on positive things and to be thankful for the good in my life. It was hard.

I have done this in the past, and I always noticed that things seemed to turn around about 2 months after starting down the positive thinking path.

What I mean by positive thinking is changing the constant flow of thoughts in my head from crap like: I'm so broke! I have got to think of a way to make more money. I'm so tired of not having enough money. I can't pay my bills. I'm afraid the electricity will be shut off again. I'm a failure because I'm poor. I wish I could find a job. My life is miserable. I hate living like this. I'm done.I need a hug. Nobody loves me. I've had enough. I have to get out of here. If only I could find a job I could move out. But I'm afraid I will still be broke. I have to come up with a solution, I can't do this any more...

...and thinking about my life from the opposite perspective: Thank God I have enough food in the fridge to feed the kids at least one meal. I can scrape together enough money to get a tank of gas. I have a lot of great job skills and someone is going to recognize that. My kids are wonderful. The weather is beautiful today. I'm glad I've got a roof over my head. The water bill is overdue but the water is still on so I can take a shower. I have money in my purse - it's a quarter, but it's money. My life is not that bad; I could be homeless, or sick. I have a secret stash of emergency toilet paper. I did good work today, applying for 6 new jobs.

As insignificant as they seem, they're still positive thoughts, and they helped me to see hope instead of desperation. Two months after focused effort, things started turning around for me. I got the job. Now everything else seems to be falling into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment